Thursday, March 15, 2007

Copyright Infringement, Huh? pt.2, and Finally, for My Dad.











This ad was on a garbage can at the country club that we went to, part of Egypt's "corporate responsibility".....
How fast would Disney shut this place down and sue them if they were in the US? And don't over look the Baby Bugs Bunny and Tweety on there too. Somehow I don't think copyright infringement laws apply here.... This is the second type of sign I have seen like this, the first one was a handmade sign by Uncle Saids house on a light post that said "Disneyland Daycare" I don't think that one would fly either.











Now this is the piece d' resistance of my "Huh?" series. Yes, my series is weak, there was only two parts to it, but hey, what can I say? This is a menu for a place Amr Al Samman took Amr and I for something called Fattah, which is kinda like a burrito bowl or something. On the bottom layer of the bowl, there is deep fried pita squares, then the next layer is saffron infused basmati rice. After that, the next layer is meat, sliced into little pieces, usually from one of those rotisseries you see in Tijuana for the street tacos. (Sorry if you haven't been to TJ, I can't think of anything else to compare it to right now.) Then, you put a sauce made of garlic and mayonnaise on top of the mixture and chow down. It was pretty good.
Where is the funny you ask? Look closely at the menu. Don't bother clicking, if you scroll down I have enlarged it for you.









Here it is! Shawerma Fart. Obviously no one who works at that restaurant is familiar with American slang. If they were, I don't think they would have worded this quite this way. My brother in law Maged tells me that fart in Arabic means loose. This doesn't just apply to meat, it can apply to anything, change , beads from a broken necklace....that type of thing. In the actual Arabic language, it is written "frt" with an accent over one of the letters to make the "a" noise. Eh, I like the idea of a Shawerma Fart. As my mom asked me: "Is that the meal or the final result?"















And finally these last two pictures are basically for my Dad, and any other Harry Potter nerd out there. I took pictures of the Harry Potter books. They are in Arabic. I didn't get the translation on all of the books but the first. The first book is called (for those of you that aren't 8 years old or a Harry Potter geek like me, I am on the down low...) 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone'. In Arabic, the title is 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Rock'. How cool is that? And no, the books aren't backward on the shelf, Arabic is read right to left, so they are just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you really think....