Saturday, October 23, 2004

Mom 1 Baby 0 (depends on when you started keeping score)


 Posted by Hello
I am at that point where I just don't know what to blog about. I am sitting here hoping for an idea to come to me.
Pathetic.
I am seriously multitasking right now. The TV is on: Jimmy Kimmel Live.
I am surfing Blog Explosion.
I am blogging, about nothing.

I can tell you that as a mom, I am going crazy these last two days. My darling boy has decided that sleeping in his crib is not for him. Last night he was up until 2:30 am. Yep, you heard right. 2:30 am. No problem. If you read my blog you can see that I post around that time, but do you have any idea how HARD it is to blog when your son is screaming hysterically from his crib in the next room?
I got a headache, took three Advils, with no results. I needed a cigarette, but that isn't my bag anymore. Bummer. Nonetheless, that baby woke up at 11am. I was kind of looking forward to him sleeping later since he went to bed later, but I guess I was smoking crack or something. No such luck.
Typically, the baby needs a nap about two hours after he wakes up. So, I tried to lay him down at 1:30 pm today. Mind you, he was in his bouncer, bouncing with his eyes closed. I put him in the crib. You would have thought pinched him or something. He cried and cried and CRIED.
Crap, I thought we went through this last night.
So I thought, you know what? It is 1:30 in the afternoon. He is not sick, he is tired, and dammit, SO AM I. I will lay down in my bedroom with the door closed, and he can CRY IT OUT.
Yes, I said cry it out.
Yes, I know I have spoke of this before, We have tried this before, my husband and I, but today is different. It is just me. I can deal with it without being nervous about Amr not being able to sleep. I will have the baby CRY IT OUT.
So I did.
And he did.
It took an hour and 15 minutes of intermittent crying but he went to sleep. Apparently, he plopped over from a sitting position and passed out. It was weird. I feel like I really accomplished something. I also feel like the Worlds Meanest Mommy.
At 2:33 I looked at my alarm clock after about 20 minutes of trying to tune the boy out. I was startled really, not realizing that I had fallen asleep. He was still crying. WAAAAAAAAAAuh-huh-uh-huh-uh-huh WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....
Okay I thought, fine, cry all you want, I can tune it out.
Can it be possible that my angel is testing me at the tender age of 10 months?
I think that may just be what is going on over here.
My husband says it is because I let him stay up too late. I don't totally buy that. I know how important it is to have a baby on a schedule, blah , blah, blah. His schedule is the same way it was two weeks ago, just kicked up 2 hours. Everything that happened before, still happens, in the same order. It just happens two hours later.
BABIES CAN"T TELL TIME!
So anyway, when Daddy is home, crying it out lasts until the first shriek. Moms, you know what I am talking about. The point where an unanswered cry turns into that shriek. The one that puts your hairs on end, the one that if you didn't know your angel was fine, just throwing a fit in the crib, you would run to them because it sounds scary. At that point, my darling husband thinks he will not calm down, and goes in there to get him.
Today, I didn't do that.
It is mommys watch.
We do things mommys way.
I only heard him shriek 3 times.
Then, the door to my room opened, the baby came walking in, and hopped into bed with me.
I jolted awake.
It was 3:15
It was quiet in the apartment.
The baby doesn't know how to walk, let alone hop.
WE HAD CRIED IT OUT! YAY! I HAD BEATEN THE 10 MONTH OLD!(not literally folks, don't call child welfare)
I WON!
So, of course, I had to check on him to make sure he was still breathing, and not lying on the floor unconscious, next to his crib. That is the disturbing part of me, I am always imagining the Stephen King angle of things. Some terrible demise. So much so, that I have to go in and check. Someone tell me I am not the only one who has pulled their car over to check on an ominously quiet baby in a rear-facing carseat, actually thinking he had choked on something or worse, (what I ask?) only to see that yes, he is sleeping? I could go into detail, these brief flashes.But honestly, they freak me out too much. Half the time, I don't even allow myself to finish thinking them.
Like I said, he was sleeping. Soundly.
Chalk one up for mommy.
Thankfully, I think he cried the fight out of himself today, he went to bed with no objections.
Right now he is sleeping.
Like a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you really think....