Monday, June 12, 2006

I Love Being A Mom.

Tonight while my son was in the bathtub I whittled down his toy basin. He has a million little happy meal toys and stuff that really hurts to step on in his toy cabinet. I took out anything I didn't see him play with lately, and out in to the garage it went. I am considering giving the crap to a second hand store, because let's face it, my son has too much crap. My husband is as bad as me in contributing to it. We can say we are even. I have a thing for buying the kids clothes, and every once in a while Amr will buy the boy some toy cars from the junk store. Any way, he was in the bath and all the toys in the cabinet turned into, 3 balls (one basketball, a small soccerball, and a nondescript ball) a fire truck, an aquadoodle, and the basin, which now contains his big lego looking blocks, some mardigras beads, and an assortment of cars. Of course he also has that recently popular toy from Auntie Renee,the tupperware ball with the holes and shapes to put in them. Don't forget his Hello Kitty earmuffs either. He can't ride his little scooter thingie with out those:

Posted by Picasa
(that is priceless) I guess, long story short, (too late) I reduced his toys. It works out great (for me at least) and he has so many he doesn't miss them. I know, I know, I am preaching to the choir here, any mom knows about what I like to call "Toy Appreciation" It is a must, or you will find yourself up to your hiney in toys and other crap you manage to accumulate for your child.
After Ayman got out of his bath, his Daddy was getting him ready to go pray the last prayer of the night (Isha'a) at the mosque. After he was dressed he proceeded to open the cabinet and blessedly, did not seem to notice the dramatic decrease in his toys. He did however, notice that I put all of his lego type blocks together and proceeded to play with them. He played with them like he had never played with them before. He played with them like he hadn't ignored them at all in the last week. Then it came time to go. His Daddy was standing by the front door, telling him time for "bye-bye". Ayman jumped up to go. I had just cleaned up the damn toys, so I said, "Put your toys away, baby" and he proceeded to pick up his blocks and put them in the tub. I am looking at Amr like, "huh?" you could have knocked me over with a feather. Then he picked up the tub and put it in the cabinet, and closed the doors. WOW. I was dumbfounded. He never did that before. Of course that is not to say that I didn't waste lots of my breath telling him to, he just never bothered with it. (why would you if your mom is just gonna clean it up anyway?) After that Amr picked him up and gave him kisses while I gave him "Bravo"'s We were impressed. Then Amr told him, "say bye- bye, Mommy" and wouldn't you know? He said it! I was so stoked. Sure all this seems little and trivial, but it was awesome. I had to write it down. He needs to see this stuff when he grows up, and I need to remember how he was when he was little, when he is big.
I am a dorky mom, sue me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what you really think....